Following the death of nine people and 453 confirmed cases of Coronavirus throughout China, it important to know about the disease and how to avoid it.
The Coronavirus disease was first diagnosed in Wuhan, a Chinese city with 11 million inhabitants.
What is Coronavirus?
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are normally transmitted between animals and people.
A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain of the virus that has not been previously identified in humans. Some coronaviruses can be transmitted from person to person, usually after close contact with an infected patient, for example, in a household or health care setting. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans.
5 simple ways to avoid Coronavirus disease
To reduce the risk of spread of coronavirus, members of the public are advised to adhere to the following measures:
1. Wash your hands regularly with soap under running water
2. Cover your mouth and nose properly with a handkerchief or tissue paper when sneezing and/or coughing. You may also cough into your elbow if a handkerchief is not available.
3. Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing
4. Avoid self-medication, report to the nearest health facility when you experience any of the above-mentioned symptoms
5. Healthcare workers are always advised to observe standard infection prevention and control measures when attending to patients and take a travel history.