Tuesday , 17 February 2026
Home News Local Six travellers abducted in Benue
LocalNews

Six travellers abducted in Benue

Benue State governor Rd Fr Hyacinth Iormem Alia
Benue State governor Rd Fr Hyacinth Iormem Alia

Suspected bandits have abducted at least six travellers along the Naka–Makurdi road in Benue State in the early hours of Tuesday, February 17, 2026.

Sources said the incident occurred at Kula village, a community located a short distance from Makurdi, the state capital.

A relative of one of the victims, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the travellers were seven in number and had set out from Ilorin on Monday.

Due to security concerns along the route, they reportedly spent the night in Ankpa, Kogi State, before resuming their journey early Tuesday.

According to the source, the vehicle conveying them was intercepted by armed men at Kula village, about 20 minutes’ drive from Makurdi.

“They were seven in the vehicle and left Ankpa early this morning, but their vehicle was stopped at Kula village.

“One passenger managed to escape, while the remaining six — three men and three women — were taken away by the kidnappers,” the source said.

The source added that the abductors had demanded a ransom of N100 million for the victims’ release.

Chairman of Gwer West Local Government Area, Omnin Torsar, confirmed the incident, stating that it occurred around 5 a.m. on Tuesday along the Naka–Makurdi axis.

“It’s true, I have confirmed the abduction. I was told the incident happened around 5 a.m. They were travelling in a convoy when they ran into bandits who abducted some of them. The incident happened close to Makurdi along the Naka–Makurdi road, but I don’t have the exact number of those taken,” he said.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer for the state command, DSP Udeme Edet, said she had yet to receive an official report on the incident.

Kidnapping cases have continued to rise across the state in recent weeks.

Last week, nine worshippers were abducted at St John’s Catholic Church in Ojije in Ado Local Government Area, while 14 travellers were kidnapped in neighbouring Okpokwu LGA.

The Makurdi–Naka road, once avoided by motorists due to frequent abductions, had only recently seen reduced attacks following the deployment of security operatives.

Tuesday’s incident, however, has renewed concerns about safety along the route.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Y’ellopreneur: MTN Foundation sign strategic MoU with Bank of Industry for Female Entrepreneurs

The MTN Foundation (MTNF) has officially signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)...

Zenith Bank denies Jim Ovia’s alleged link to fake investment scheme

Zenith Bank Plc has issued a stern warning against a circulating video...

Dangote signs $400M equipment deal to fast track refinery expansion

Dangote Group has signed a $400 million construction equipment agreement with XCMG...

EFCC detains El-Rufai in Abuja over alleged misappropriation of N423B

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, was detained at the headquarters of...