Saturday , 23 May 2026
Home News NCAA bans phone airplane mode during take-off, landing
News

NCAA bans phone airplane mode during take-off, landing

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has directed that all mobile phones and other portable electronic devices be completely.

This new regulation, announced by the Director-General of the NCAA, Capt. Chris Najomo, during a stakeholders’ meeting in Abuja on Tuesday, marks a significant shift from the previously accepted practice of using devices in phone “flight mode.”

“We’re going to do a lot of radio jingles, TV series… We’ll make sure that we take all these preambles of informing passengers… of their responsibilities,” Najomo said.

He emphasised the authority’s commitment to enforcing stricter compliance by both airlines and passengers.

The NCAA’s decision aims to enhance aviation security and address the growing trend of “unruly” passenger (Comfort Emmanson’s) behaviour.

Najomo warned that the era of “business as usual” is over and that the authority will be conducting mock response exercises to test readiness.

“We’re going to start checking that you would do the adequate training,” Najomo said, stressing that airlines will be compelled to implement “adequate training of conflict resolutions” for their staff.

The Director of Consumer Protection and Public Affairs, NCAA, Michael Achimugu, also highlighted the importance of security personnel being prepared to handle unruly acts professionally and responsibly.

“This is global. In Nigeria, we are even more humane. In most cases abroad, even if you are cooperative, unruly behaviour is treated with extreme prejudice,” Achimugu explained.

Online newspaper subscription

Passengers are urged to channel complaints through the NCAA, which exists to protect passengers’ rights.

The authority’s new measures aim to promote a safer and more secure aviation environment.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Elegushi cautions politicians against blackmail over misfortune at APC primaries

The King of Ikate kingdom, His Royal Majesty, Oba Saheed Ademola Elegushi,...

Ooni urges swift security actions, calls for fight against kidnapping after Oyo school attack

The Permanent Chairman of the Southern Nigerian Traditional Rulers Council (SNTRC), Arole...

Abbas, Obasa, Faleke, Buhari’s son, others secure APC Reps tickets

House of Representatives Speaker Abbas Tajudeen, his deputy Benjamin Kalu, Lagos State...

Nigeria-US kills ISIS leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuk in counterterrorism operation

Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the United States of America president,...